Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Our Honeymoon, Part 2: Fripp Island, Beaufort and Savannah

After leaving Charleston we headed south to Fripp Island for 10 days at a beach house!

Fripp Island

Fripp Island is about 95 miles southwest of Charleston and 65 miles east of Savannah. 

Fripp is one in a chain of barrier islands off the southern coast of South Carolina.  Some readers of this blog are familiar with other barrier islands like Kiawah, Edisto, and Hilton Head Islands (thank you for your emails!). 

It is a private gated vacation community (members only) - there are many beautiful permanent homes on the island and some condos and townhouses.  

After reaching the lovely town of Beaufort SC on Port Royal Island (more on Beaufort later!), you must cross three more islands to get to Fripp - Lady's Island, St. Helena Island, Hunting Island, and then you arrive at Fripp.

So Fripp feels remote and very special.  It was lovely and quiet when we arrived in October (but apparently it's a zoo in the summer!)

David researched and rented an amazing two-story townhouse condo with 270 degree ocean views, right at the most seaward tip of the island:

Wow.  We stayed in the most seaward location possible on Fripp Island!

Here is me dancing after we arrived on the beach late in the evening:
(One in a series of dance moves I will spare you viewing more of...)

Our Home on Fripp

Views from our townhouse were amazing, with ocean views from almost every room in the house (just not the bathrooms)!  

This was the view from our kitchen and dining room window, facing west (high tide):

This is our cute little kitchen with a vast 180 degree ocean view from the breakfast table:

This is the living room with its eastern ocean view:

And from the living room balcony - more ocean:

And from the upstairs master bedroom - unlimited ocean:

Fripp was a dream - so peaceful and relaxing.



I quickly grew very well-adapted to oceanfront retirement living:
Sleep late, walk on the beach, make lunch, have a nap, take the golf cart to get ice cream, walk again, read your novel, make supper, drink wine, sit and talk, take an evening swim, sleep.  

Ahhh...heaven. 

Each day we went for a long walk on the beach at low tide. This photo, taken at low tide, shows our place, the very last most seaward building on the right:

We walked and walked every day.

It was so hot, high 80's to mid-90's most days (25-35C) and I needed a lot of sunscreen.  And it was so bright, it was quite hard to take good photos!

There was plenty to do on Fripp, including countless swimming pools, boating, tennis, bike and golf cart rentals.  We had a blast just hanging out and got up to lots of fun.

Beaufort, SC

Every second day we left Fripp and went to Beaufort for some civilization (i.e. a proper latte), shopping and some groceries.  


Beaufort (pronounced Beu-fert, i.e. not the French way) is a charming, old town of 12,000 people.  It has many charming shops, lovely art galleries and restaurants and seems to be a going concern.  The houses are stunning.

Here is the garden of a private home in Beaufort:  
Spanish moss hanging from the Live Oaks

Another Beaufort home with Spanish moss hanging from the trees, a very common sight in these parts:

Another Beaufort home, a common design with upper and lower verandas:

Shrimp Festival!

On one of our first days in Beaufort, there was a shrimp festival, if you can believe our luck.  We ate a lot of shrimp and tried varied southern fare.

Here is David testing a hush puppy:

The shops in Beaufort were also charming. 

Scout Southern Market was the main decor shop in town, so I'm sharing some photos for my fellow decor junkies:

This pretty blue and white vignette suits Beaufort's traditional elegance and its waterfront location:
Love this settee and coffee table and the bamboo chairs.  Love it all...

I loved this great State of South Carolina wooden wall hanging.  Beaufort's location is marked with the star!



While in Beaufort, David and I enjoyed walking around the old town centre admiring the great homes:


And we visited some local historical sites, including the Baptist Church of Beaufort, where we got a wonderful tour from a retired local fellow who regaled us with tales of the olden days. 

The church was built in the 1840's in the Greek Revival style and was very similar to the First Baptist Church of Charleston (ca 1822) that we'd just visited on the Charleston Fall Tour of Homes, so it was quite a coincidence to stumble across the one in Beaufort:



Floors are "heart pine" (also called heart of pine) and are original.

We also really enjoyed the Beaufort art galleries.

In particular we loved the I. Pinckney Simons Gallery, where we talked to the friendly and interesting owner, Irene, who shared a wealth of local information.  She told us the history of many of the artists and places displayed in her wonderful collection of (mainly local) paintings:
This wall of paintings really capture the local lush "Lowcountry" landscapes.

I took this photo while driving, to try to capture the beautiful local landscape, made up of these ubiquitous low tidal marshes.  The entire land mass is very low, essentially at sea level, and it makes such a unique and lovely landscape (particularly if you don't mind snakes and alligators): 
Low tidal marshes leading to the ocean, an ever-changing and beautiful landscape.


Civil War & Colonial Relics

Speaking of the countryside, David decided to do a little relic hunting after making a connection through his Civil War community (he loves American Civil War history). They toured an old Civil War battleground near a long-gone plantation.  It was a hot and laborious day of metal detecting and digging but he found some very interesting old things which I would like to frame and display.

Some are Colonial and some are Civil War era:
From left to right: a small button, a shoe buckle, an old Colonial coin, the top from a gunpowder horn, and a beautiful sterling silver belt buckle(!!!) that I really want to clean up.  All these things were dug from very hard ground over the course of several hours of relic hunting. 


From left to right: a piece of tile, a plug of lead for making bullets, part of the reed from a harmonica, a bullet casing, and a bullet. 

Savannah & Its 22 Squares

Towards the end of our trip, David and I took a day trip to Savannah and I regret that we didn't spend longer there.  We loved Savannah!

I didn't take many photos as we arrived late morning and the day was blazing hot with not a cloud in the sky.  And the heavy tree cover in many of Savannah's beautiful squares made for some tough lighting for iPhone photography:

Savannah's downtown has 22 heavily treed "squares", each with a historic monument and park benches for resting in the shade.


Historic Savannah feels somehow more run-down than historic Charleston (which feels rather posh and aristocratic) as it has some abandoned historic homes (that are slowly being renovated).  But I would say Savannah downtown somehow feels more relaxed.  It is very leafy with its lovely shaded squares, so there's a relaxed feeling created by having a place to sit and watch the world go by.  Historic Charleston, to me, is much more aesthetically beautiful but there are few parks and places to sit and really enjoy it (other than a busy restaurant)!  Savannah seems to have more character and openness, if that makes any sense.  

Savannah Architecture

I didn't take many photos of Savannah architecture, but it has a totally different look and feel than Charleston.  Ironwork is heavily used for decoration and the historic homes often have more elevated entrances: 

This is the Wm Kehoe house (a famous and famously haunted house), now a charming inn.  It was built by a famous industrialist who owned the Ironworks in Savannah.  

All the white detail on this house is actually iron, painted white!

Photo courtesy Ghost city tours Savannah

Shopping on Whitaker Street

I had a long list of shops to visit but there was so much to see in Savannah that we only hit a few on my list.

I also had an impatient husband on my hands, so that curbed my shop time considerably.  To maximize my ratio of shops per minute, we hit Whitaker Street which had some neat shops I'd researched in advance.

I had 10 hurried minutes inside One Fish Two Fish:
Like a stealthy hunter, I saw my prey at once: I bought a small starburst mirror from the wall but should have come home with a whole lot more.

Also on Whitaker Street, we visited NumberFourEleven (a monogram shop), which I really loved:

I am still kicking myself for not buying a John Robshaw duvet cover I saw on sale there.

Next was LaPaperie, which had a beautiful selection of cards and stationary:


And of course, I hit Circa Lighting.  The Savannah store is larger than the one in Charleston!  And fortunately they have a "husband station" at the back (sofa and TV), so I had a little more time to look here:

The staff at both Circa Lighting stores I visited were so friendly!  I was impressed.  And I do regret that I didn't buy another fixture.  I do love my Dauphine lamp that I bought in Charleston and blogged about here.  I will have to post about it soon, as it's now sitting on my sideboard at home and I totally love it!

We also visited ShopSCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design shop downtown:

SCAD has purchased and renovated many historic buildings in Savannah and has a very large and positive presence in the city!

Lunch at Collins Quarter

It sounds crazy, but our favorite part of Savannah was eating an amazing late lunch at Collins Quarter, a very busy local spot with a fabulous simple menu.

We had an awesome meal and my first ever almond milk latte, which was divine!

And then we just sat and people-watched for a while!

Hilton Head Island

The day after Savannah we went on a short country drive and ended up on Hilton Head Island.  We drove around and saw a lot of trees and gated communities (called "Plantations") and not much else.  

So it is not for the casual traveller who arrives unannounced!  There seemed to be nothing to do!  

We didn't do our research to realize that you can't visit the charming Harbour Town on Hilton Head without parking your car and taking a bus.  We were too late in the day for that, so instead we visited the public beach, which was lovely!




Naturally we took some selfies:

On the way home we got some groceries and noticed this cake:
Happy Fall Y'All.  Everyone calls you "y'all" in the south!

Hunting Island Lighthouse

On our last day, we visited Hunting Island State Park (which we'd been driving by every day as it's right near Fripp) and toured the lovely lighthouse:



Fabulous views after a long walk up:
I really, really hate heights.



And that, my friends, is the end.

Sunrise on Fripp Island, early in the morning as we were leaving for the airport:

All in all it was a wonderful, relaxing and interesting honeymoon!

We can't wait to go back!

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:11 am

    Oh my god it is sooo beautiful. Everything! What an amazing place to be lucky enough to live. You look really beautiful, so glad you had an amazing honeymoon.

    Lisa, London

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous. We love Fripp and Savannah, too. Visited some of the same Savannah shops when we were there a few months back. So glad you enjoyed your trip! donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. so lovely!! Looks like you had a great time and saw so much. I haven't been down to the south much but am dying to go to Charleston and Savannah. Sounds like you liked Savannah more! The house you stayed in on the ocean looks just amazing; I wouldn't have wanted to leave. The only thing that gives me pause are the snakes and alligators -yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, this is part of the United States I have not visited and have always wanted to. I adore being by the water! Love everything about Fripp, Savannah and Beaufort that you showed us. You two are such a cute couple!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena New Feature

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri, your trip looks wonderful. I'm so glad y'all had fun. You know the Charleston/Beaufort, SC, area is near and dear to my heart. We always vacation at Edisto, across the sound from Fripp Island. The townhouse you rented has the most amazing water views from all angles! I've never seen anything like it. I loved Beaufort when we were there this past October (I wonder if your trip and ours overlapped; wouldn't it have been cool to meet up for lunch?). We went to the same gallery and stores as you! I love all your photos, but one of my favorites is the first lighthouse photo -- amazing! Thanks for sharing your honeymoon with us.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your take on Savannah is so interesting. I have never been but I had a feeling that it was a bit more run down feeling. We are off to explore Charleston in a few weeks and I can't wait! Sadly, much of our time will be spent scoping out neighborhoods that we like instead of shopping and dining but I imagine we will do a little of that. Did you have a favorite restaurant in Charleston?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came over here after reading your comment on Janet's blog, I wanted to tell you that I have an art deco set of black and white teacups and dessert plates that are so lovely, but have NEVER been used. Not even by catering clients. When it came down to using them I always thought food would look better on something else. Maybe if you were serving a vivid red raspberry cheesecake, but other than that few foods are strong enough in appearance to stand up to black and white together. Thought that might help you!
    Like so many, SC Lowcountry is so special to me. I go down there twice, sometimes three times, a year and just love it. I always go to Hilton Head and always stay the same place. It would bore most people to death, but I love it. My routine is similar to yours, except I'm out on the beach early. HHI is worth another shot, you do need to stay there to really enjoy it as most of the island is behind gates. I prefer Palmetto Dunes to the more popular Sea Pines. Palmetto is smaller and more jungly and the pocket I stay in is on a residential street and very quiet. Fewer hotels and condos, too. Which translates to much quieter and less crowded beaches. My favorite favorite favorite time to be there is October. If you get a cloudy day, the dolphins swim close to shore and it's such a pleasure to sit and watch them. Although it does mean I need to keep a firm grip on my dog, who is eager to make sea-faring friends! So I guess I may have made you want plates less and a vacation more...so maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all! Haha. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That wall of mirrors - divine! Okay, I want to see where you've hung your sunburst. Such a fun trip! Thanks for sharing the sights and shops. Looks like y'all :) had a fabulous time.
    xoxo
    L
    PS - I have very good clients with a home on Fripp. They really love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fripp Island is great! Was there for my godchild's baptism years ago. Loved your post and the tour again! We just returned from Charleston and are headed back to Kiawah Island in April. Wonderful places for deep rest and relaxation, not to mention the food. Thanks for sharing! And, congratulations!!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh what memories you brought back of a long ago trip, even staying on fripp island. we stayed with a friends elderly mother. on the one day we were going to see charleston she asked to join us. as we are nearing she said she wanted to go to the aquarium, insisted on it actually. never saw charleston as i was indoors all day looking at fish :-)
    beautiful honeymoon & darling selfie!
    xo
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful clicks, you surely have to try romantic destinations of India. I must say India has many top honeymoon destinations. I really love these honeymoon destinations in India . Check Out These destinations :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you enjoyed you time here. Beaufort has a vibe that can't be found anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing the valuable information. you have posted trust worthy blog Wedding Mandaps keep post again

    ReplyDelete

  17. Today has being the most happiest day of my life after 5 year of sadness and sorrow without being with the one i love, i tried all my possible best to make sure i make my lover happy but it never seems to work out well it was like am doing everything in vain but all thanks to Dr.Ogumen for coming to change all my worries and sadness to Joy. I knew the great man when i read some wonderful reviews about Him how he has helped a lots of people on there relationship problem i was reading a magazine which then i saw great testimonies as well which then i decided not to waste time. He told me not to worry that he assures me that within 3day everything would be sorted out i believed Dr.Ogumen so much because i believe he can't fail me and i sent him all my details. Truly Dr.Ogumen never failed me,my husband who left me for good a year come back to me. My husband and i have been living contentedly since this spell caster reunited us together with his love spells. Thank you so so so much Dr.Ogumen for your powerful spells. Expressions are not sufficient to say thank you, here is his email address(ogumensolutioncenter@gmail.com) or call (+2348135790702) for more information or whatsapp with him......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, and welcome to our website for the best hand raised
    hand raised macaw parrots for sale. We pride ourselves in the best taming practices of macaws among aviaries. All of ourmacaws for sale are bred in a disease-free Biosecure breeding sanctuary. They are well socialized, having been raised in our home as members of our own family in order for them to become ready to be a member of yours, we have green wing macaw,severe macaw for sale,scarlet macaw for sale,blue and yellow macaw for sale among others. They are quite comfortable around all ages, including the elderly and young children. When you purchase a bird from Us, we are committed to offering lifetime support and guidance to you and your family.You can read more and view our available birds.You can
    READ MORE and view our avilable birds.

    ReplyDelete

  19. Welcome to Glock Store ,a Discreet online depot where you can buy firearms and ammunition , Buy guns online ,
    buy ammo discreetly without monotonous deocumentations and ship to your prefered location with no hassle.We are FFL Dealers and stricktly follow the Regulations of the Gun Control Act(GCA).Purchasing Fireamrs and Ammunition online with caution has always been a long process of paperwork because of the inter/Intra state Laws controlling the buying and distribution.At Glock store online shop we cut the Gordian knot and deliver to your location with no hassle.We have a wide range of firearms and ammunition for sale ,buy Ammo such as shotguns,Long guns,Magazines, Optics and accesories which include Century Arms,Kel-Tec,
    Ruger,
    AR15,
    AK47,.Despite the perusal increase in surounding firearms,we issue uncomplicated paths to acquire Firearms for individual and or Family security.If you have ever asked yourself
    how to buy guns and ammunition online with ease and,safety then your question is answered once you are here.All you have to do is choose your firearms, optic, magazine,accessories and add to cart then proceed to check out. READ MORE on how to buy guns and ammunition online discreet.
    Pain management, pain medicine,buy pain medication and buy research chemicals, pain control or algiatry, is a branch of medicine employing an interdisciplinary approach for easing the suffering and improving the quality of life of those living with chronic pain,
    buy lipitor
    You can also buy weed online, buy cbd oil

    Hello, and welcome to our website for buy fennec foxes as pets. A family run farm, we have extensive experience in breeding fennec foxes.

    READ MORE We provide new homes for our baby fennec fox pets for sale. We equally provide shipping services to ensure your fox arrives your location with no hassles. Due to
    fennec fox pet for sele being illegal in certain states, we do not facilitate delivery nationwide. Our Fennec Foxes for Sale are limited to a select states which consider it legal. We equally facilitate the acquisition of Permits in states which require on before owning a
    buy baby fennec fox for sele

    ReplyDelete

  20. I agree with you very much, and I also like your content. From now on, I will continue to follow your articles.
    By the way,I like custom cheetah print swimsuit custom snake print swimsuit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this with so much of detailed information, its much more to learn from your article. Keep sharing such good stuff. Lily Lockett
    Lily Lockett is a best collection of stylish & beautiful bracelets made from Silicone and stainless steel in different colors, Kids bracelets, kids charms, girls charms and girls bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The positive comments and do well wishes are very motivational and greatly appreciated.
    Residential House Painting

    ReplyDelete
  23. Investing in foreign property, especially in beachfront locations, can be an exciting and potentially lucrative opportunity. Beach properties have always been in high demand, attracting tourists, vacationers, and those seeking a second home in picturesque coastal settings. Here are some key points to consider when investing in foreign property on the beach. EL Nido Beach

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:42 am

    For anyone interested in a Fripp Island vacation, here is the link to a wonderful oceanfront villa:
    www.wyldeandfripp.com

    ReplyDelete