Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wedding Details: The Cake

This weekend, we took care of one very *lovely* and highly-anticipated wedding detail:

Our wedding cake!

On Saturday we met with our baker at Crave Cupcakes to choose our wedding cake design and flavours.  

All cakes are made from scratch using quality ingredients (real flour, eggs and butter!), including butter made by a local creamery.  All cakes are frosted with either buttercream or cream cheese buttercream rather than the more elaborate fondant-covered wedding cakes people may be accustomed to.  So they are 100% delicious from start to finish...!

Our baker showed us a variety of beautiful icing styles to start.  

We really loved the rosette design on this cake:

I loved all the icing styles, from rosettes to little ruffles and dots:

And very smooth:

Sorry - I'm not showing you our final choice, but I will say we are getting a two-layer cake (we have a small guest list) in pure WHITE!

All the cakes shown above are ivory, but the vanilla buttercream comes in a bright white:

The wedding cake was an easy and delicious decision, especially since we got to bring home this sample pack of cupcakes (in various cake and icing flavours) to help us choose:
Chocolate and lemon cake scored highest on our taste test!  The chocolate and coconut icings were my favorite.  Regardless of what flavours we choose for cake and inter-layer fillings, the entire cake will be frosted in white vanilla buttercream.  Mmmmm...

Since each cake (top cake and bottom cake) actually consists of three stacked cakes each, we also got to choose filling flavours (between the layers).

I will tell you that David and I are going old school with the flavours.  

The larger bottom cake will be our favorite - chocolate (with chocolate buttercream filling) - while the top cake will be lemon with either vanilla (David's choice) or strawberry (my choice) buttercream filling.

The whole thing will be frosted in white vanilla buttercream on the outside.  Yum!

We plan to serve our cake right after the ceremony at our champagne toast, after hor d'oeuvres!  That way guests will be happy and smiling when we head out to do photos before our reception.  

And the cake gets to be enjoyed rather than neglected until the end of the evening.

I just hope someone saves a slice for me...

15 comments:

  1. All I can say is YUMMMMM! I think it's wonderful that you plan to serve your cake right after the ceremony. What a perfect idea. I'm surprised nobody else has ever thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now I'm really jealous!!! Those look sinfully good - yum! Let them eat cake.....xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning cakes terri. and i love your idea of serving cake early. actually it's brilliant. so often the cake is an afterthought. i bet you are getting SO excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cakes. So much better than the old fashioned fondant or royal icing. I love the swirly roses on the very first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must be the most fun, deciding on the wedding cake! So many gorgeous and yummy options!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Feature:Decorate Fearlessly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, gorgeous cakes, I am hungry all of a sudden:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What, no fruitcake? I was lead to believe that Canadians did fruitcake.

    They're all beautiful. I love the rosettes as much as I love the very simple ones. I couldn't choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruitcake?? Only at Christmas. Never heard of it for weddings.
      :)

      Delete
  8. An Urban Cottage - My generation (60 years old and older) did fruitcake for weddings. Everybody hated it and now everybody does something yummy that people actually want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:52 pm

    Hope someone saves a slice for you? My dear, grab a decent serve first off, it is Your wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. late to the party! congratulations!!!!!!!! so excited to hear you all are getting married! yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my mouth is watering! love the simplicity and elegance of your choice
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful wedding cake i like to have on my wedding well beast planning in free wedding planner iphone app

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am extraordinarily affected beside your writing talents, Thanks for this nice share.

    ReplyDelete