Friday, August 30, 2013

Thoughts

I am a person who notices details.

I don't know if everyone is like this, but I sometimes feel like a hypersensitive child in the world.  I notice the birds outside my window throughout the day, the flowers in the garden as they change.  I notice the light as it falls in the living room and savour small moments, the scent of basil and lemon as we prepare supper.  There is always music in the house. 

I feel hyper-alive and sometimes overwhelmed with the beauty of the world.
I have not been feeling well (I'm going for more tests), and I think my sense of impermanence lately makes everything even richer.  But I've always been a person who stops to smell the roses.  I am not unconscious.

Someone we knew died last week at a young age in a tragic accident.  It has really affected me and David.  Our hearts are broken for his devastated wife.  I think of her constantly, and her loss.  And I feel so bad for him, a person who truly loved life.

Things seem both utterly pointless and extraordinarily perfect because of this.

I keep thinking of the meaning of it all, and how tightly I want to hold onto it.  But I am reminded that we cannot do that.  And there is also a peace in that, if you let it.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this, except to say, "don't be asleep in your life."  I think many of my regular readers are kindred spirits, awake in their lives already, and acutely aware of beauty.  But sometimes we all need reminding - to pay attention, to slow down, to be still for a moment and soak it all in.

Enjoy your weekend.  These roses are from our garden.  They are a gift that keeps on giving with constant blooms this summer.

With love, Terri