Saturday, April 24, 2010

The View from Here

We had a cool, blustery day here.  I had an appointment this morning with a pain counsellor to talk about my chronic headaches (she is so insightful and helpful) and then I met with my sister-in-law at a garden center to discuss low maintenance and hardy options for her new flower beds.

We need hardy species here because this can happen - we got wet, heavy snow this afternoon and evening!  
 Our stunning double-flowering plum (below) just broke bud this week and then today it was snowed upon!  Poor little plum...
I love its little pink pom poms:  
We also have a lovely ornamental crab apple tree that is trying to leaf out (in the background above).  Not having much luck.  This tree has a very popular bird feeder (which you can see if you look closely)!

Look at the wet snow laying on our neighbour's lawn and in the shade of our cotoneasters!   Isn't that mad?  But we desperately need the moisture - it was an unseasonably warm, dry winter here.
I went for a long walk this evening and came home soaked through.  It is often so dry here that I long for rain days - I love everything about the rain but somehow snow seemed a little disheartening when the daffodils are barely up!

But, you know what they say about April showers....

14 comments:

  1. Our winter was just the opposite. Very cold and wet and more snow than usual. I will have to say that snow and daffodils...maybe there's just a little magic in that (: Hopefully the new growth won't wilt from the cold (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow in late April! Amazing.

    We had a lot of rain yesterday, and my middle child was working on a project on the screened in porch in the back. It was so lovely to be outside and be surrounded by the rain, yet be dry. I do love rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many, many beautiful May flowers. We're having cool weather here. Had snow a couple of weeks ago even. But it's coming, the warm spring days are coming! xoTrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly can be disheartening, Terri. I was pretty disheartened myself. It's also good to remember that it doesn't last long. Though it snowed here last week, the spring flowers seemed revived by it and are lasting so much longer. This week is quite a bit warmer and in the 60sF this weekend. It'll tank again as we head into the week, but spring is unpredictable that way. I'm actually surprised to see flowering anything in your corner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terri!

    Yeah I agree with you, I came home the other day totally soaked too. It started raining when I went out the door and stopped like 5 mins after I came home. That was one rainy and stormy bike ride :/

    But yes... April showers... woohoo May flowers hopefully :)

    Hugs and take care!

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terri,

    What a contrast between our two climates! It will probably be close to 80 degrees today and sunny. But just think of all those spring flowers that will be coming your way!

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there Terri...can't believe you had snow, but I guess you're not really safe there for another month or so. I remember a freak dusting in Denver in June.
    Your front walkway and plants all look so pretty!

    I hope your appointment went well and there are some options for you with pain management, my heart goes out to you my friend!
    Big hug~
    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely images, terri, and what a beautiful attitude you have despite the weather and your pain...late snows are tough, I know..best wishes for getting some relief...hang in there, and let us know how you are doing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter what the season is Geothermal Heat Pumps works really long !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous pictures Terri. Truly understand the snow - we're expected to get flurries tomorrow night!

    Hope you can beat the headaches. My girlfriend went to a headache clinic at Dartmouth a few years ago and they had her change her diet and her migranes went away! i do wish you the best.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:03 pm

    Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm
    absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.


    my webpage ... Grapevine furnace
    Also see my webpage > bryant furnace repair

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:49 pm

    It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd most certainly donate to this fantastic blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will share
    this blog with my Facebook group. Talk soon!

    My blog :: Tucson AZ extended stay

    ReplyDelete