Sunday, December 02, 2012

The (Sick) Nest

I think my favorite place in the house is the living room.  Sitting on the sofa with a pile of books, to be precise.

Today I am stuck there (we didn't get the tree) since I am in the midst of a blinding headache which has let up enough to enable me to get out of bed (around noon).  The headache is centered in my FACE (yes, you read that properly), in particular in and behind and around my right eye.  It feels sort of like a very large, drunk person punched me in it (if I didn't know better, I would bet I have a black eye).  

To add insult to injury, my back is also seized and I can hardly stand up.  I wish my chiropractor worked Sundays...

I thought I would show you the sick nest:

I have the new "Veranda" and "Elle Decor" (a bit weird), my new Mary McDonald book (her decor overwhelms my brain, but most days I think it, and she, is fabulous), and some library books.

I am reading a wonderful novel, "Capital" by John Lanchester.  Here is the New York Times review, which describes it better than me (skip the first 3-4 paragraphs).  The book is about the varied inhabitants of a nouveau posh old street in London, which is good enough for me.  I can't read today so I am looking at the picture books instead.

(I also read "Tricycle" the Buddist/meditation magazine, as I try to make peace with this unrelenting illness I've been dealt).

Here is my furry companion (who is not normally allowed to sit there):
Excuse the awful iphone photos, which are below my exacting standards...

It is snowy and gloomy out.  David put up the Christmas lights and is making a beef stew (bless him), so the house smells great.

It looks like this again today:

My medications are so sedating, it feels like I've been on morphine since I woke up.  Right now, it feels like I am inside a watery, gray, raw, weary and painful dream.

Let me tell you, as a person living with chronic pain...every day you wake up feeling well (and all your family members feel well and you are not homeless), thank God and know you are blessed and don't ever let me hear you complain.

On that sour note, at least the birds are happy.  David put out their bird bath heater and there has been a steady stream of bathers all afternoon.  If you don't have one, I really recommend it.
That is David's old, very old truck (mostly for dump runs) on the street.  He has to move it into the garage as it is wrecking my housebound landscape photos. 

Blessings anyway!  

Terri

15 comments:

  1. Oh that IS a nice, old truck. Everyone needs a nice, old truck for errands and such.

    I don't know, Terri. Making peace with such an evil headache doesn't sound good to me. Praying for you and a release from this pain. In the meantime, I can help you with your back being seized...maybe. Some ice, preferably a gel ice pak, placed in the "seized region" and then get to a recliner or in a position where you can get your knees above your hips for 15 minute sessions at a time. Don't do more than one an hour. Don't laugh! This has been a lifesaver for me and my back, for John and his back, and for everyone I tell about this.

    Love to you...oh, yes, and the prayers for you to find relief, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gasped when I saw that truck. I thought, what the hell kind of neighborhood is that?! I was worried about you for a minute.

    That nest looks like a wonderful place to be with all those luscious books. Biscuit looks very happy to have that perch. Hope you're feeling better.

    I went to buy a tree today and came home without one. I just wasn't in the mood. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Terri,

    I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I sometimes have shooting migranes, but thankfully they only last for about 1 hour and come very rarely, but when they are with me I am completely drained and cannot function. Such is life, we go on and try to stay focused in the moment. Your nest looks lovely and Biscuit just wants to be near you. My cats were always by my side when I didn't feel well. I miss them so... I like the truck, it adds character and besides, nothing is perfect in this world, even though we try to make our homes so. Sending healing energy your way..Be well.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your sweet words!! Yes Vee, I am we'll acquainted with ice packs. I use them all day, every day to manage my pain. I have about 4 or 5 on the go in the freezer most days. Ice is the best for backs and necks and chronic muscle pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I get the occasional migraine and can NOT imagine having them chronically. Feel better soon! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh terri, what a horrible way to live but your nest is lovely, as is your view, sans truck

    sending you love
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Terri,

    Oh I get it, I have been doing the exact same thing today. Couldn't get out of bed until 1:00 and getting out of bed consisted of moving to the couch with my laptop. I'm hoping tomorrow is a better day but right now is doesn't feel as though it will be.

    I hope you feel better soon and can get out to buy that tree which I know you will turn into a thing of beauty. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you have these bouts of pain. It must be awful. I had a slight headache Friday and Saturday, but fortunately an Advil makes them go away. Sending wishes that you feel better soon so you can get your tree. We plan to get ours next weekend.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh terri. ben has had a migraine for six days now. this might be a record. he just cant get rid of it! i hope you are feelin better soon. i am soooo sorry you are in pain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you warm hugs from here. Hope you feel better soon. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry you live with chronic pain. And to have such a bad bout of it combined with back issues is too much. Praying for continued relief for you.
    Your nest looks so cozy - the perfect place to curl up when feeling fragile. You are so right about being thankful for good health.
    Your snow makes me a wee bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI sweet Terri,
    So sad you are sick. I hate the eye socket headache! That's what I like to call them. Although I don't suffer from constant migranes I do get headaches often and those are the worst. Said a prayer for you today.
    So sorry. Can't wait to see your tree.
    God bless,
    xoxo
    Lisa
    Leeshideaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Terri - I'm so sorry about the headaches and back pain. Will taking a hot bath help? That and lots of hot soup and tea will usually make me feel better.

    The snow looks so beautiful and serene.

    Take care!
    Loi
    PS - I'm digging that truck :) Would be fun to go antiquing with....haul a bunch of stuff back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are better soon. I love a cozy nest when I am unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a gorgeous and beautiful blog! I do hope you are much improved this evening from when this post went out, I am so very sorry that you suffer from cronic pain as you do! I understand what you wrote about the blessing of wellness. Thank you for entering the giveaway on my site, I send you best wishes and cheer for feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete