Tuesday, November 27, 2012

To edit or not to edit

You know when you positively love something, but it doesn't quite work in your home?


I recently found this darling little pillow at  Crate & Barrel (you can find it here).  

But the turquoise is clashing with my area rug (which has more slate blue gray in it).  The rug will eventually be replaced (with a neutral, less patterned one), so this pillow will eventually fit in.  

But my question is...do you redecorate an entire room around something new, or do you just take it back to the store?

(This is a rhetorical question, of course, as I already know the answer).

I am learning that in order to have an edited, clean decor you really have to reject a lot of "pretty" things you might otherwise love and stick with your game plan.  

Still...this is such a little gem!

I don't know how the great designers edit themselves.  It is a battle for me to stick with a coherent, uncluttered look for my home!

16 comments:

  1. I'd say let it be a guest partridge for Christmas and then if if still doesn't fit in, you can put it in a guest bedroom or something. I'd definitely keep it though, it unique and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can use it in another room? It's so cute and you clearly love it. I know what you mean about editing. I wish I could have three houses (at least) so I could decorate each one differently. Wouldn't that be fun! Maybe I need to play the lottery. I hear the pot is up to $500 million ...
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia, yes, let's go in together and buy a ticket. Then we can have the 3 houses we need...

    :D

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not offended by it. Maybe you're being overcritical?

    The Power Ball jackpot is up to $500,000,000 though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahha. i take everything back terri. well i just don't shop that much any longer b/c i got tired of taking everything back. and editing is an art i believe but so is adding. b/c when either is done right it is a sight to behold. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Michele / My Notting Hill - keep it for the holidays!

    I think we should all go in on the lottery! Sorry, Terri....are we getting off the topic?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I return things when I know it just won't work, even though it's beautiful, but I would vote to keep that lovely pillow for the eventual new rug. You have great taste. Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. great pillow, i'll throw my hat in the keep for christmas vote and the new rug will make it new again.
    tickets are in hand!
    xo
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Let's all go in (do they let Canadians buy Powerball tickets?). I think I can manage if we split 500 million...

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh things have to match and not clash? I'm in so much trouble. I don't think I still have the receipts. =)

    I so admire your style that I am going to stop yanking your chain r.i.g.h.t. now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:37 pm

    Aren't you suppose to have something unexpected in a room?
    I think it is darling!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great comments here! The lottery is an option.. and they say if you really like something you will find a spot. So I say keep it and put it somewhere it works {for now} and then when you up grade the space, it will be ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:57 pm

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to see the entire room with the rug!
    Maybe it's not that big of a deal when you look at it through a photo.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't show the rug because I don't like it and it's irrelevant since it's leaving! :)

    ReplyDelete