Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Chair

Hello all, I must apologize for not blogging much lately.  I have been suffering badly with headaches and had to take a week off work.  I ended up going for more Botox injections last week in my face and jaw and it has finally kicked in, so I have a little more energy today!  The odd thing is now that the headache has subsided, I feel emotionally drained from weeks and weeks of pain.  But I think that's a story for another day...!

I thought I'd share a few pictures of our new chair which I just ordered.  I've been looking for a comfortable reading chair for a looong time.  In addition to comfort (I have a contrary back), I wanted it to be high quality and good looking!  I had a hard time finding the good-looking part but eventually found I kept coming back to this luxurious chair, by Pearson:




It didn't quite have the look I wanted (a little more upright and higher off the ground) but the comfort kept calling me back.  This chair is like sitting on a cloud.  The seat is down and foam wrapped around a spring core and the back cushion is down.  The materials and workmanship are stunning.  I ordered this fabric, a lovely linen-cotton blend with a very soft hand, together with custom dark wood legs:


The chair will sit so that its side and back are visible when you come in the room.  From this angle, it still looks good:

I had a funny relationship with this chair.  It was so comfortable but I didn't love the way it looked at first.  But it's kind of like meeting a wonderful person who you don't think is your type.  I began to think about the chair when I wasn't with it.  And it made me so happy when I saw it.  And I couldn't stop touching it.  So I knew it was real love...!

I also like that the new chair has a similar scale, height, quality, and overall feel as our new linen-cotton sofa.  The fabric I chose (a little lighter than the one it is covered in at the store) is almost exactly the same colour as our new sofa but has a much softer feel:
Our new sofa the day it arrived (un-styled because I had to rush out the door back to work...)

Originally I planned to get a pair of chairs, but we already have a sage green reading chair in the same room (which David won't let me move), so I really wanted to keep the new pieces neutral and clean-lined to work with the existing chair and a fourth occasional chair that I have.  I am hoping for a new rug eventually...

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead...I will share photos once the chair arrives.

xo Terri

15 comments:

  1. Well I so appreciated what you had to say about the chair being like a person whom you didn't think that you'd get on with, but find that you do get along very well. My dearest friend on earth is such a person so I'm smiling.

    I think you've chosen well. I could happily have two in my living room right now if only the Volkswagens were outta there.

    Glad that you're feeling better and I hope that you feel better on all levels soon. Personally, I think you need another week to putter away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terr - You really love that chair, don't you? :-) Me, too. I love it's transitional lines and curves...very sculptural. And, I'm glad it is comfortable, too. I'm not a big person, and most chairs are too deep for me. I bet it would be comfy for me as well. BTW, your new sofa looks fabulous....great fit, and does not overwhelm your room. Lots of progress at your house!! Love it. Take care, Terri! I hope you feel better.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chair looks lovely and does look similar to your sofa. I'm glad you and the chair fell in love with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Terri - I love your new chair - looks incredibly comfortable and very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chair is very nice; and if it's comfortable, that's what counts!

    I'm so sorry you've been down with worse than normal headaches. I hope the Botox lasts & keeps you with as little pain as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it - it looks great with your sofa.

    botox? i want ben to try it. he has been so sick this year. he only makes it to work 1 or 2 days a week, every week. soo sad. there is that new pill that prevents them but they say it makes you stupid. really. have you tried it? he is scared to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri,
    The chair looks fabulous, I love everything about it! Looks so comfy!
    I think you picked a winner, the perfect place to curl up with a good book and cup of coffee!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, yes. That's a very handsome chair. How long does it take to get it? That's always the longest X number of weeks; isn't it?

    I just discovered that you're yet another blog whose posts are not loading into my reader. I missed your last two posts. It's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love the chair!!!

    Sorry about your recent run of terrible pain. I'm glad the Botox is helping now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:14 pm

    Congrats on the new purchase and looks like the store is Maria Tomas?

    Used to live in Calgary and so miss Chintz & Co. and nearby Maria Tomas (plus no provincial sales tax)!

    Re migraines, I have suffered for over 20 years and found Botox helped alot. What really helped is moving back east to Ontario and after a consult with local neurologist wherein I stated that my migraines had improved she said, 'just moving out of Calgary will help' as I am sure you are very familiar with the chinook headaches etc.....

    Hope you feel better soon, NB in Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for your thoughts NB...i would love to move back to ontario...!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sweetie,
    So sorry you've been sick but glad the botox is helping. Who knew that would help right? Wow, hope it is successful. I'm a firm believer that when you see something and it stays in your mind that means that it's meant for you to have . Hee hee. Well I try but my husband doesn't always buy it. I am excited for you. The chair will look lovely. By the way I find your rug to be lovely and soft not overpowering. Are you sure you need to change it? Your house is lovely.
    xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:05 pm

    GREAT POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and Im following...I hope you follow me also:)

    If you want some cute swedish decor inspiration...check out my new post:)

    Have a great week.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the shape of the chair and your new vases. The same soft curves in all. Hope you will continue to feel well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:10 am

    Hello, і read your blog occasіonally and i
    own a simіlаг one and i was just сurious if
    you gеt а lot of spam reѕpοnѕes?

    If so how do yοu protect agaіnst it, аnу ρlugin оr
    anуthing you can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

    Take a look at my web blog click the next internet site

    ReplyDelete