Sunday, August 02, 2009

Post No.2: Front Entrance Concept

Here is the blank canvas I discussed in the last post.  I am attempting to decorate around this antique light fixture, without going purple-crazy:  
The chocolate brown rug doesn't work, but I found this affordable wool rug (below) at Sears (yes, I was shocked too).  I really like the neutral grey-brown colour and think I will order it:  
I simply could not find a plum-coloured rug without doing custom, which is simply unaffordable for a rug this size (you need to buy the entire 12 ft roll width, unless you can find a decent remnant, which I could not...I looked at several carpet and end-of-the-roll type stores and saw tons of cheap neutrals but very little in nice brown or rose tones or nice materials). Plus, I prefer the look and feel of wool, so this rug fits the bill.
*
I am rather fond of mirrors and the space really needs one.  I admire this very affordable,  antique-looking one, which comes in either a silvery or gold finish from CSN Stores:
I also found this delightful wall shelf on-line (to go under the mirror).  The shelf is the perfect size, measuring 32" wide, about 10" tall, and only 5" deep, so it doesn't protrude too far into the room.  I ordered it yesterday!





And to top it off, I think this little print from Art.com that I blogged about yesterday really is the best choice.  It pulls together the browns from the wood shelf and the rug with the plum in the light fixture, and relates to the sage green and creams in my living room:

A few more elements (more art, something to sit on the shelf, a small sisal/jute boot mat) and I think I have a front entrance!

Any other suggestions?  Thanks for those that have already commented! 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:53 pm

    I would take a clue from you other post. Lilacs, your purple front door and the touches of purples in your living room rugs, and the gray in your classic college chair (which I would keep). I would think about painting the wood on the chair and maybe monogramming
    something large on the back front of the chair. You could go several ways with your front entry.
    I just see you has being
    more formal with you furniture design and mirror, self and art selections. After seeing some of your blog I won't suggest the Moroccan Style.(which was my first choice, when looking at the nice light fixture) I would suggest paint or wall paper. A shimmering gray goes well with the ranges of purple. (Yellow (notice yellow flowers in your living room post) goes well with grey & purple & brown)
    Is there any chance that you can change out the window in the front door? Cut a rectangle shape and put two prices of square glass above each panel and a piece of textured steel or sliver glass in between in between the two new pieces of glass. Change out the hardware on the door or spray paint
    them. Or get a new front door and put a glass side light to the side of the door? If not possible how about putting a curtain panel drawn to one side (which would be formal to cover that side light area) The fabric could have some floral tulips in it to go with your art selection. You could also put a piece of silvered mirror behind that curtain.
    Other color suggestion that would bridge the entry with the living room could be a green. If you go with green, you can accent with some brown and a dab or orange. I just keep seeing wallpaper for your entry and painting the interior closet and interior side of your front door.
    The white is just too much of a contrast with the wood work.
    Have you thought about a round or octagon shaped rug for the entry?
    Thanks for reading my suggestions.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brown rug is a great find! The entry way to any home is so much fun to decorate, I do think you are on the right track. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, it's always nice to meet a new blog friend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:14 pm

    Hi! You have such a lovely taste in your house decorations! I just keep admiring them! My 2 cents for the front entrance... Paint the trim white, then put clear gloss over that. Next install a windowed door with white wooden panes throughout. That would open this space up a lot. Maybe even some light texturing to the walls with drywall mud, then a full color like Valspar's London Coach to add that suttle color of purple, but allow you to stay neutral. Then I would add your rug & then dress up the side left wall facing the door with a small white entry way table from restoration hardware & a pewter/brushed nickel mirror to top it, followed by a vase & your purple lilacs. Beautiful way to tie together all your houses character in the front entrance as a prelude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the idea of painting the trim white & love the rug & accessories you found!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for providing a great resource. your site is one of the best, and i will definitely refer it to my site visitors.

    Regards,http://www.rugsale.com/oriental-rugs-c-1683.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:14 am

    It's really very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on TV, therefore I simply use internet for that reason, and take the hottest news.
    Have a look at my web page ... diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete